Becoming an AWS Certified Welding Inspector readies the unionized workforce to fulfill the current and future industry welding market needs. The skills and knowledge of CWI's assure weld integrity throughout the industry. Sheet Metal CWI's are now helping contractors read specifications and drawings as well as assisting in evaluating projects to determine pertinent codes.
Any member in good standing with the SMART is eligible to obtain the CWI certification. Participants should have the aptitude to understand codes, engineering procedures, and inspection techniques. Being a welder is not mandatory for becoming a CWI.
How the Program Operates
The subject and type of test questions for the AWS CWI examination are the main focus of this program. Three to four hours of studying nightly, beyond the classroom training is needed to successfully pass the examination. You must submit a completed ITI and AWS application to ITI's main office. The AWS application must have a form of payment made out to AWS for the exam. Once you have submitted the ITI application and AWS application to the ITI main office, a letter will be mailed to you about six weeks prior to the exam date. This letter, along with study material, will explain our web site testing procedures.
All students will work in the AWS D1.1 (latest edition) Structural Welding Code. Each applicant will receive the latest edition of the code book to use and take back to their JATC. Students will also work in the Part B Examination Book of the Specification Booklet.
You will receive this book from AWS along with your acceptance letter.
Be sure to bring this book to class. There will be hands-on training with inspector tools, and porosity and tensile exercises.
Becoming familiar with any information from the following list, before arrival to class, may be of assistance in passing the exam:
- Structural Steel Welding Code
- Welding Inspection Technology Textbook
- Symbols for Welding Brazing and Nondestructive Examination of Welds
- Guide for Nondestructive Examination of Welds
- Standard Welding Terms and Definitions
- Guide for the Visual Inspection of Welds
- Hands-on Training Textbook
- Certification Manual for Welding Inspectors
- Welding Handbook Vol. 1, 8th Ed.
- Welding Handbook Vol. 2, 8th Ed.
- Welding Handbook Vol. 3, 8th Ed.
- Welding Handbook Vol. 1, 7th Ed.
- Welding Handbook Vol. 4, 7th Ed.
- Welding Handbook Vol. 5, 7th Ed.